Steve’s Prince of Steaks was founded by Steven Iliescu in 1980. His empire began on the corner of Bustleton and St. Vincent in Northeast Philadelphia, where he saw his dream of becoming “The Prince” turn into a reality. In 1992, Steve’s Prince of Steaks was voted “Best Cheesesteak” by Philadelphia Magazine. On November 27th, 1998, the Philadelphia Eagles decided to make the “Worlds Largest Cheesesteak,” for the Guinness Book of World Records. The steak itself was 365 feet long and was made by 22 local cheesesteak restaurants, all competing to be the Best of the Biggest. In the end, Steve’s Prince of Steaks was crowned the winner!
After years of perfecting his product, Steve decided it was time to expand his princedom by opening another store. In 1999, “The Prince” opened his second location, Steve’s Comly, at Comly Road and the Roosevelt Blvd. Here, with the help of his son Ross, the loyal subjects of “The Prince” have continued to grow.
In 2006, The Food Network aired a show called the Hungry Detective. During the show, Steve’s Prince of Steaks was highlighted as the best-kept secret in Philadelphia cheesesteaks.
As time went on, so did the demand for the Philadelphia cheesesteak outside the city limits. With his daughter Abbe and long-time employee Dave at his side “The Prince” was able to meet the demands of his loyal subjects by opening yet another store, this time outside the city limits. The third location, Steve’s Langhorne, located at 1617 E. Lincoln Highway, opened in 2006.
In 2007, 15 years later, Philadelphia Magazine recognized Steve’s Prince of Steaks as the best cheesesteak in Philly again. We have also been awarded “Best of Citysearch” 2005 & 2007 and “Best of Bucks” 2007 & 2008.